Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Updates, bacon not included.

I'm going to skip the apologies that normally accompany a late post because...I'm sure you have them memorized by now.

It has been crazy busy around here! This past weekend was the first we were able to spend at home in Austin in quite a while and we still found ourselves hustling from place to place. Mind you, I'm not complaining. I much prefer busy weekends to the ones that feel like a waste of a perfectly good set of no-work days. You know the ones, you sit down on the couch for just a few minutes to watch the end of Lord of the Rings (playing on TBS for the 19th consecutive weekend) and when you look up again 7 hours have gone by and you've watched every romantic comedy produced in the late nineties. Yes, we all love You've Got Mail, but for real. Zero productivity and you can't even say that you had that much fun, plus now all your snacks are gone and you've gotten crumbs all up in your cushions.

The weekend before was split between San Antonio and Austin. My parents came up Friday evening because they had gotten us all tickets to the Revival Fest (a rockabilly multi-headliner concert) at the Nutty Brown Cafe. We had a lot of fun, the music was neat and the atmosphere was really laid back and relaxing. I was on ink watch, of course, and yet again was blown away by the tat quality here in the ATX. I swear, the itch for more ink will never go away as long as I'm living here. It didn't help that the current scene in rockabilly music is the 50's black/navy dress with white polka dots, red belts, red lipstick, and coiffed hair topped off with plenty of visible work...everywhere I looked I was bombarded with people who looked cooler than me. Le sigh. Pictures!



On Saturday Anu and I went out to celebrate his new promotion (PS: Anu got promoted. Hooray!!!) at Eddie V's and it was amazing as usual. I forgot to specify that we wanted a table by the band, but it was still a lot of fun and we had a really great server who gave us a free dessert in honor of Anu's accomplishment. Free Bananas on Fire? Awesome. Also, I wore a new dress that I'm sort of really obsessed with. Everybody look at it:


Sunday was mother's day so we made the trek down to SA town to take our mothers (and my grandmother) out to celebrate. We went to Paesano's which...I hate to say, but I was really disappointed with. The prices were insane for the quality, I've had better food at trattoria style joints and didn't have to pay nearly as much. Also, the waiter was an ass. I'm sure it had quite a bit to do with the fact that it was mother's day, but that doesn't excuse flat out rudeness. I've been tired too, my friend. That doesn't give you the right to roll your eyes at someone for not knowing that salads don't come with every entree, especially since the way the salad/no salad meals are divided up is pretty damn bizarre. Pics!


The week itself was full of subbing for me and work for Anu. I had my last club meeting with my Girlstart girls, that was a sad day. We signed each other's shirts and talked about the future, they told me they wanted me to be their teacher in high school and they all traded phone numbers with each other. They are amazing kids and I know they are going to lead wonderful lives. I will miss them so much, I already do.


This weekend was Austin weekend, hooray! It was nice to be able to do all the little things around town that we're so in love with. We went to Mt. Bonnell Saturday morning and stared at the wealthy folks' houses for a while. I saw a lizard. We were pretty much eaten alive by tiny gnats, but it was worth it. We ate lunch at Dirty Martin's (burger heaven omg) and then went home to get ready for a wine and cheese cocktail party one of Anu's coworkers was throwing. We had a lot of fun at the party, we brought a bottle of our favorite Da Vinci chianti and goat cheese rolled in sunflower seeds (try it, it's amazing) and both were liked by all. We met lots of interesting new people and even made friends with some people from Philly and LA. The time flew by like nobody's business, probably because of a little invention called "wine game" that I can elaborate on in the comments if you'd like. I only have pictures of the first part of the day, so here they go:



Anu came down with some cold symptoms on Sunday, so we didn't do anything too extreme. We did see a hotel on fire on our way to Java Noodle, so that was something. Nobody got hurt, no worries. Apparently some guy set his sheets on fire, left the building, then called the cops a few hours later to tell them what he'd done and then sat and waited for them to come arrest him. I don't even know, y'all, some people just don't make sense to me. But yeah, it didn't stop us from having delicious Indonesian food. Mmmm.

We also saw Iron Man 2 at some point...I can't really remember when. It was alright, definitely entertaining for a couple of hours but nothing special. I remember thinking the first one was super cool, though I don't exactly remember why. This one was kind of a let down, but it was worth seeing.

Alright, that's all I've got for now. I hope you all have had a lovely couple of weeks, and if YOU have a blog I want you to know that you're a lazy blob who needs to update more. Because dudes, my blog list has been so slow lately. Entertain me, y'all!

Love and Kisses,
Dana

2 comments:

  1. That fire was like 4 buildings down from my apartment complex. I was trapped by the completely stopped traffic on the access road(and I assume highway) plus all the people thinking they could cut in line/sneak out the backway (which we don't have ha ha) of the complex, and the best was, since no one would move over on the access road we actually had the ladder truck cut through the complex...that was interesting!

    ps...i'll let you keep that cute dress...if i can steal the shoes ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea yea yea, I'll update tomorrow promise! Loved to read this great update. Tell Anu congrats for me!

    ReplyDelete