Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I found a bug.

There must have been something in the air a few weeks ago that made lots of moths and butterflies feel very amorous, because recently I feel like I've been surrounded by big fat caterpillars. That's not a bad thing mind you, I really like...pretty much anything that's alive, to be honest. And caterpillars are definitely way up on the list of things that make me happy. The problem is that I've most often run into them while they're trying to cross the street, and even though they're fast little goobers they don't quite outstrip cars yet. I try very hard not to run them over when I see them scuttling across the road, but I can never tell if I've succeeded or not because it's not like squishing a caterpillar is going to make any noticeable chance in the smoothness of your ride.

Anyway, on three separate occasions I've seen them cavorting around on our outdoor breakfast nook, and this morning I was lucky enough to have my camera nearby so I could snap a few pictures of the fuzzy little dude for you. He's very cool, and from what my google-fu has uncovered for me he seems to be a Saltmarsh caterpillar. Here he is:


What a cool guy, right? I wanted him to eat a leaf in front of me because I like watching their little mouths move, but he was clearly in a very big hurry to do something and had no time for my shenanigans.



Anyway, after I followed him around for a little bit I decided to give him a hand and help him up on to a plant. I hope he appreciated it.


I also looked up his future online, and now I really do hope he and his friends stick around because if they do we should have some of these pretty fellows fluttering around in a month or so:


Hooray! OK, just thought I'd let you know about him. You care about caterpillars, right? Of course you do.

Love and Kisses,
Dana

1 comment: