Monday, March 29, 2010

Weekends are always too short

Hello everybody! It's been a whole week since I've updated, if I want to stay in the habit of blogging I need to buckle down and just make myself write!

This past weekend was really great, the weather was perfection and it lent itself to all sorts of outdoor adventures. Anu's parents have been in India visiting family for the past 2 months, so he and I went down to San Antonio on Friday night to check in on their house and get everything ready for their homecoming in a few days. We went to dinner at Canyon Cafe with my parents, I LOVE their margaritas and corn crusted calamari! The entrees are alright, but that's not what brings me in. We had a great time just catching up and arguing about movies (they liked Gamer and hated Inglorious Basterds...I have no words...) and we all agreed that we are CRAZY excited for Anu's parents to get back. We all usually get together about once a month at the Sonterra Club and it's been weird to go so long without continuing the tradition.

On Saturday Anu and I went to Alamo Cafe for lunch because I'm obsessed with it. Every time I go to San Antonio I get the biggest cravings for their cheap, almost flavorless food. I have no idea why! The weather was beeeauuuuuutiful though, so sitting outside on their patio felt sooooo good and made for a workable excuse.

We got back to Austin at about 3:00 and decided that it was time we tackled the forest of weeds that has been flourishing in our back yard. The shade from the giant tree keeps the grass from growing very well back there, but apparently it's the bees knees for weeds because we had some 3' monsters living quite happily without direct sunlight. Anu bought this awesome weeding contraption and we had an indecent amount of fun using it. Seriously, it makes weeding exciting. Who knew? I made a video of it's use so you can appreciate the glory:



I also took some close ups of the before and after sides of the yard. Believe me when I tell you there is a veritable army of weeds out there, so we weren't able to do the whole thing in one day. We're still fighting the good fight, it just takes kind of a while to get through them all.

Before

After!

We went out that night with Yeh, Wan, and Maggie to see How to Train Your Dragon. You guys...it is the cutest movie in the universe. THEY MADE THE DRAGONS ACT LIKE KITTIES!!!!!! I'm a fiend for cuteness and there were parts of this movie that were physically painful to watch because they were JUST THAT CUTE. Oh my god. Go see it right now.

Sunday was just as perfect as Friday and Saturday in terms of weather, so Anu and I decided to head out to the Austin Garden Festival at Zilker Botanical Gardens. It was so much fun! They had live music, gardening talks, tons of awesome local vendors, and of course tons of beautiful flowers and plants. I took some pictures of the event and came home with SO many ideas for our lawn. I'm particularly excited about this one landscape display we saw that used colorful pieces of rounded off broken glass and Aloe plants, I've been meaning to rip the crappy bushes out of our front planter and replace them with something more attractive and low maintenance and I think this might be the way to do that!

Very cool!

The rest of these pics are just of things I thought were pretty. Enjoy!









The sun was in my eyes, ignore the crazy expression on my face!

After the festival we drove down Bee Caves Road a little bit to dream about our possible future in West Austin someday and spend some time relaxing at the shopping center on Bee Caves and 71. Then we went to Bombay Grill for our regular Sunday evening Indian food pig out and headed home fat and happy. Now it's Monday and I am grumpy about that, weekends that fun should be automatically extended to 3 days!

Alright my loves, I think that's all I have for now. My goal is to update 2-3 times per week, so hopefully there won't be so much time between this entry and my next. Have an amazing week!

Love and Kisses,
Dana

3 comments:

  1. I second your motion to extend beautiful weekends should be extended! We went up to Enchanted Rock Saturday and it was perfect (well except the wind at the top that tried to blow us off =p)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome little tool. Kill those weeds Anu!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the glass plant idea! It looks really great. I have to say your weekends sound great. You are being positively domestic right now. Looks great =)

    And keep up the regular blogging! Maybe it'll convince me to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete